CowSignals® Complete Series
Welcome to CowSignals® e-learning! We are excited to teach you how to keep dairy cows healthy and happy. With CowSignals®, dairy cows produce more milk and have longer productive lives. Farms reach 2 more lactations, have lower replacement rates and produce more milk with the same amount of resources!
After this course, you will know what cows need to live longer, healthier lives, and which solutions the best farmers in the world have used to optimize their dairy management. You will know how to assess a farm with the CowSignals® Farm Workshop: our proven method to check the conditions of the herd from different perspectives and detect health and welfare problems.
CHAPTER 1: THE COWSIGNALS® METHOD
In chapter 1, we will introduce you to the theory of CowSignals®:
1) Looking through the eyes of the cow: Why is it so important, and how does it work?
2) The CowSignals® Diamond: What does a cow need for a healthy life?
3) UNO’s: Look, think, act: how can you observe efficiently, recognize problems, and find the cause?
4) Waiting cows and risk animals: When and where should you be extra alert? Why are waiting cows your best management advisors?
5) The Stress-free Calving Line: How can you minimize problems around calving?
CHAPTER 2: THE COWSIGNALS® DIAMOND
In this chapter, you will learn about the six angles of the CowSignals® Diamond: feed, water, light, air, rest, and space. We call these "the six freedoms of the pasture", but cows need them in the barn as well. In this course, we’ll teach you how to make sure cows get enough of each:
5) Rest and Space
If you know these, you are one step closer to making dairy cows live healthier, longer, more productive lives!
CHAPTER 3: THE FARM WORKSHOP - FROM THE FEED ALLEY
We start the practical part of the courses: we will introduce you to assessing a farm with the CowSignals® method.
1) We visit the farm and interview the farmer to learn about its results, strengths, and weaknesses.
2) We assess the barn with a checklist; we observe feed, water, light, air, rest, and space from the feed alley.
3) We explain which signals we encounter and what they mean. What can be improved on this farm?
CHAPTER 4: THE FARM WORKSHOP - AMONG THE COWS
In chapter 4, we go among the cows and assess their health and welfare with our 2nd checklist.
1) We check if the cows get enough feed, water, light, air, rest, and space in the barn.
2) We explain which signals we encounter and what they mean.
3) We tell you which solutions could improve the health and welfare of these cows.
CHAPTER 5: THE FARM WORKSHOP - DETAILS, CONCLUSIONS & ADVICE
In this last chapter, we take it one step further:
1) We single out one cow and assess her health with our 3rd checklist.
2) We look for every detail that tells us something about the cow’s health and welfare
3) We explain which signals we encounter and what they mean.
4) We summarize the important signals we saw during the Farm Workshop in the previous chapters.
5) We draw conclusions and formulate advice for the farmer. What can he do to improve cow health and welfare on his farm?
- 10 Theoretical video lessons
- 18 Practical video lessons
- 1 Bonus video: the CowSignals® Cuddle Box
- Total video content: 4.5 hours
- Study questions